March 20, 2017 Hours spent building to date: 3,548 When I first started building the Tardis, the first question asked by everyone who knew about the project was, “How long do you think it will take, when do you think you will launch the boat?” But then as it became that the build was going
March 14, 2017 Hours spent building to date: 3,528 I was down on my knees with a drill at the deckhouse helm station just about to make a series of holes that I really didn’t want to make when Ray walked in with a recalcitrant tool and saved the day. I have been working away steadily
March 6, 2017 Hours spent building to date: 3,456 One of the suppliers I deal with a lot, Jamestown Distributors, is (I think) going to run some pictures and a blurb on Tardis in their next catalog. So I took some shots for them of the newly-finished exterior varnish. This, as most things, took more time
February 24, 2017 Hours spent building to date: 3,456 Last week my friend Ray remarked, “Pretty soon you are going to run out of jobs to do.” Tardis is a boat, so I will never run out of jobs to do, but scheduling is getting harder in these final months. I should have been working
February 14, 2017 Hours spent building to date: 3,406 February is a cruel month in New England. We always get a few 50 degree days early on (60 degrees this year) then get slammed. So between a blizzard, a regular snowstorm and a weather-delayed trip to New York, it has been hard to keep up a
February 5, 2017 Hours spent building to date: 3,369 Spent most of the week cutting big holes in the bow of the boat for installation of a Vetus 25 bow thruster. Bow thrusters were pretty much confined to luxury yachts when I started sailing, but new technology has made them accessible to almost any cruiser.
January 29, 2017 Hours spent building to date: 3,334 I have only made two cabinet doors in my life to this point, some 20 years ago for a freestanding closet to house John’s off-season clothes, Legos, games, etc. But they turned out to be too tall for their width, and in the damp of our basement
January 20, 2017 Hours spent building to date: 3,287 With a big assist from Ray, painted the hull with three coats of Interlux Brightsides “Seattle Gray.” It wasn’t all that hard with about an hour to sand between coats with 320 grit and an hour to paint. We used a “roll and tip-roll” technique with
January 16, 2017 Hours spent building to date: 3,261 There is no decision that has taken more research or created more comments from people who have seen this boat than the choice of an engine. On one of the spectrum was designer Mark Smaalders suggesting that a 60-70 horse four-stroke would accomplish the boat’s mission just fine.
January 9, 2017 Hours spent building to date: 3,234 I’ve been slogging away at the trim varnish and it is finally done. My recipe is a modified version of the Lackey Method: 5 coats of Interlux Schooner gloss for depth, then 2 coats Interlux Goldspar Satin to create a furniture-like “rubbed effect.” First two thinned