December 23, 2014 Hours spent building to date: 467
Holiday duties have slowed things down a little, but Ray and John have been helping scarf and lift, so we got a couple more planks on.
Had a bit of an oops with the port-side second plank. I started with the starboard side and had been planning to take off some width up by the keel, and cut the pattern accordingly. But when I did a dry fit at the chine, it looked fine all the way around, so I cut the starboard side with no trimming. Very proud, great fit. Then I flipped the pattern over for the port side, trimmed a bit at the chine and cut the plank from the pattern.. But I forgot that I didn’t want anything off at the keel, so now I have an 1 1/4 inch gap at the forward end. The plank still comes way up the inner keel so no strength was lost, but it will need a filler strip (and looks like hell).
From now on I am making a separate template for each plank. There are just too many markings and too much to remember from side to side, the wood is inexpensive and the patterning process isn’t hard.
I am not fond of scarfing planks on the boat. There is a lot more precision and control on the bench. But they look okay so far. I’m simply clamping them between a ply strip and pieces of pine (which draws up nicely using drywall screws), all of them wrapped in packing tape.
Note to Mark: the WordPress spellchecker will not let me do “s c a r p h”.
Merry Christmas to all. Off until Friday.