October 4, 2015 Hours spent building to date: 1,500
Just hit the 1500 hours mark. I was sort of thinking 2000 when I started the Tardis, but it looks more like 2500. But then again, I work slowly and take a lot of breaks.
Anyway, it was a good week, even with interruptions to prepare for the non-existent, TV-weatherman Hurricane Joaquin. The hose runs from the water tanks are all done, the tanks are tied down and any necessary floor supports are in. As you can see in the photos, THEM TANKS AIN’T GOIN” NOWHERE.
They look like decent tanks to me, from an outfit called Ronco in Tustin, CA. Ron made the radius of the edges less than the finished thickness of the tanks (3/8 inch, but the plugs I took out are just over that). So when the rotomolding machine spun the plastic into the mold, a lot ended up in the edges and corners. I made all the tie-downs and blocks tight to the edges, and the assembly seems really strong. I ordered a bunch of stainless corner braces from Amazon to fasten the tie-downs for about $20, no shipping. They came in by air from Hong Kong — beautifully machined, buffed edges, perfect. How do they do this? So I subbed Home Depot galvanized where possible and saved the Sino-stainless for a tougher application.
Also ran my first PEX tubing. This will be the majority of the plumbing — it’s tough, doesn’t grow critters, and uses “press on” fittings that are far superior to hose clamps. But there is a learning curve here, and the three fittings shown took an hour and a half to assemble since “press on” means push-and-cuss-with-every-sinew-of-your-being, and I didn’t have much room to work in. Future builders should really cut down the size of the main water tank a bit — there are lots of 25 and 27 gallon tanks available. The lack of space for proper fitting of fittings has cost me many hours.
I lightly screwed down all the subfloors after the tanks went in. Being able to move anywhere on the boat with a solid floor under your feet is a great feeling, and should speed things up.