January 27, 2016 Hours spent building to date: 2,042
A head cold and a pretty good-sized blizzard slowed progress, but the next phase of construction after the deckhouse commenced with some interior carpentry.
Day One was spent completely cleaning up the shop, which was coated with sawdust after days of heavy sawing and router work on the deckhouse and beams.
Then I started hacking away:
— The shower sump. I am very ambivalent about even having a shower on a boat this size, but retrofitting a watertight sump would be very difficult, so I forged ahead. I built a plywood tunnel over the limber holes so water could get from the front of the bilge to the back, then built a simple watertight box and glassed all the seams. A tiny bilge pump will take out most of the water.
— Shower grate. Found one on Amazon that needs fitting and reinforcement, but it isn’t bad. Made a cherry threshold to close the door against and kick water back down to the grate.
— “Desk” area. I used to call this a dresser, but there is a large, flat-topped piece of furniture with big drawers across from the lounge chair in the sleeping area. When sitting on the edge of the bed, it creates a nice area for a computer, chart books, etc, so “desk” it will be. The field is mahogany ply with a wild grain and the edges are cherry, so I will probably varnish the top.
— Bathroom sink. Found a beaten copper bar sink at a good price. The top will be veneered with a dark piece of sapele that I’ve had for years and should make a nice contrast to the painted surfaces.
I have only a theoretical knowledge of drawer construction, but may try that next.