December 6, 2016 Hours spent building to date: 3,138
The windows arrived yesterday, and they look great — very high level of finish and every one I have tried so far has been a very close fit. Toward the end of the day today, I summoned the energy to put one in. It was not hard at all and looks awesome. The big sliders are pretty heavy, so I will need Ray to help.
Other than that, I have been working on projects I can do in the time I have between trips to Greenwich:
— Installed the Balmar battery monitor. Boaters are constantly worried about the state of their batteries, since dead ones in a remote location are one of the things that are tough to fix on board which means a lot of time and money to one of the towing companies. This unit is a “smart” one that learns how your batteries charge and discharge and provide a constant picture of battery charge and condition.
— Went down to the local plumbing supply and got all the adapters to get from the sinks down to marine hose. The whole thing cost $29 including the galley sink drain. They could have said $100 and I wouldn’t have blinked an eye, being used to West Marine plumbing prices.
— Installed the battery charger. This is a Charles unit I have used before and really trust, but once again, the designer should have to install the thing before letting it out the factory door. The AC side attached to teensy #6 screws that are meant for wire far smaller than I would ever use with this unit. I finally found some flanged connectors from my old Memsahib kit that would work, but after an hour layaing on my stomach fighting this problem, I was not happy. Then with everything working, I had to set the switch that controls output given the type of batteries being charged. It was nowhere to be found, so I checked the manual, and it is on the back of the unit (the only thing there) which meant uninstalling the unit, flipping the switch and re-installing.