Summer Slump

July 27, 2015   Hours spent building to date:  1,231

A bad summer cold infected the Tardis Project last week, but I have been back at work for the past couple days and we are steaming (in 90 degree temperatures) along again.

Bonding has at long last reached the stern of the boat.  More to do along the engine stringers, but the end is definitely near.

Glued and screwed all the berth flats to the supporting stringers, so I will have a firm place to stand while working on the forecabin, which looks like the next big carpentry job.

Began work on the lower deckhouse carlins (big pieces of lumber that hold up the cabin sides) since I kept tripping over the clear fir I had put aside for the job left over from the rollover frame.  And  I am trying to modify them from the plans somewhat to add 3/4 of an inch on either side of the boat for the sidedecks, and flatten out a fairly steep rise shown in the plans for easier footing.  I hate to modify Mark’s plans at all, since they have been so spot-on so far, but we are small people (and no longer young people), so I think sacrificing a bit of interior room for more secure passage along the sidedecks is worth it.  All I did was change the 1X3 spec to a 2X3, and will eventually make the side decks exactly even with the sheer.

 

The end is indeed near.

The end is indeed near.

Deckhouse carlin.  Eventually a swoopy piece will be added forward to match the sheer.

Deckhouse carlin. Eventually a swoopy piece will be added forward to match the sheer.

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: